Monday, February 23, 2009

From Barbed Wire to the Rolling Stones

So my family took to making fun of my English dialect at lunch today - just because I said the word Winter without accentuating the "T". Sorry. Winter and Winner sound surprisingly similar to me. That led to the word Jaguar. Apparently, you're 'supposed' to pronounce it like Jag wahr or some such instead of Jag WIRE, like I say it. My 12 year old son said it's not Barbed Wire, but I contended that they actually are very similar, when you think about it. Barbed wire is pretty jagged. My husband had to agree and informed the kids that they always called thorns and brier bushes "jaggers" when he was a kid. Our 15 year old daughter said, "jaggers?" in that voice that only a 15 year old girl can produce. It's the magic teenaged girl voice and if you have or have ever had a teenaged daughter, you will know it. The one that is used to express, "That's stupid" regardless of what actual words are coming out of her mouth. ;) So apparently, she thought it was dumb to call briers "jaggers". That's when I chimed in, yeah, then there was Mick, but that's not a brier, it's a Rolling Stone - but he probably drives a Jag Wire. I think that's where we lost them. My husband and I got a chuckle out of it, while the children looked at each other, rolled their eyes and silently expressed their common belief that their parents had totally lost it. :D

Speaking of Common Beliefs, someone sent me a link to an article at NPR called "Thirty Things I Believe". Apparently they are posting several stories in the "This I Believe" category. This particular list was written by a seven year old boy. Smart kid! I have to say that I agree with just about all of them. (There's that one about everyone should get up early that I'm not so sure about. ;) ) It would be worthwhile, I think, if we all sat down and wrote 30 things we believe. Food for Thought. So #1 on my list is: I believe we should all take time to think about what we believe. ;)

No comments: