Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Travelling through Childhood

You are between 5 and 10. You are going on vacation. What form of transportation was used to get there? Did it take long? And what did you do to entertain yourself while traveling?

Since my parents moved from Kentucky to Ohio when they got married, most of my extended family still lived in Kentucky, so we traveled back to KY alot to see our relatives when I was a child. We had several different cars that I remember, but thinking back now, what I remember most is that we had no car seats! I laid down in the back seat, put pillows on the floor and sat there, climbed over the seat into the back of the station wagon, climbed over the front seat and sat between my parents and had a lot of freedom as I don't even remember wearing seatbelts much. Mostly they were tucked down in the back of the seat to get them out of the way! The speed limit was 55 back then, so it was an 8 hour drive. There were certain places that we always stopped along the way - Renick's Farm Market near Chilicothe, Ohio was a favorite and I always got a big dill pickle out of the jar on the deli and a rainbow snowcone out of the freezer. (I know, just the thought of it now makes me feel sick!) Daddy always stopped for gas once we crossed the Ohio River into Southshore and they had little red gingerbread men cookies in the case at the little store at the gas station and he always bought me one. Along the way we played "Cars". Everyone picked a color and every time a car of that color passed, you got a point. Then when we crossed the river, we always sang, "Over the bridge and under the bridge" until we got across. We had so much fun together as a family, the time flew by quickly and it wasn't long until I was running into my Mamaw's arms and giving Papaw a big hug before heading off to play with my cousins. What I wouldn't give to go back for just one day...,

5 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I had forgotten about not needing to be in seats during those days. I remember laying down in the back seat reading.

Stephani said...

What a GRREAT memory! You should definitely scrap that one. So many wonderful details. I was right there with you the whole way. WOW! I understand about wanting to do it all over again...GREAT PROMPT!

Beachcomber said...

Lovely memory. Sounds like you had some fun family vacations. I remember climbing around in the car, too and sitting backwards in the back of the station wagon.

Rusheika said...

sounds like a perfect road trip! I'll have to remember the cars game for my kids.

Unknown said...

No car seats or seat belts. I remember those days of laying on blankets in the back of the station wagon while traveling cross country. Today, though I would have heart attack if one of my grands didn't wear theirs.